Monday, July 26, 2010

Reality, society, and religion

Today, I am starting something I have desired for some time but have just been quite busy. Finally, I get to be a blogger. But that is not all, I will be blogging on reality, society and religion, three areas I feel people need to be open to debates and seeing from other people's perspectives.

Reality, because every human being sees reality from a particular lense influenced by certain sociaological, ideological, physical as well as psychological beliefs. Society, because as humans, our earliest history indicates that we have been creatures who take great care to protect our territories - and that was carried on to modern days with the distinctive regional, national and international boundaries. Religion, because our checkered history have taught us that though religion can be a great uniting force, if used negatively, it can also be a great dividing force. Religion has the ability to build and or to destroy any civilization. History is rife with examples.

Which of these areas do I favor most? None. As a philisopher, a theologian, and a social worker, it is important to be open to other ideas and yet, to critically analyze all things to avoid being guided by unexamined phenoms, unethical social ideologies, and/or blind faith.

My goal is to be able to respond to questions while inputting my thoughts. So, any question is welcome.

3 comments:

  1. "Christian faith goes beyond mere belief. It is all about relationship between humans and God as well as how humans relate with each other and all of creation."

    Very true. Jesus' reduction of the Ten Commandments into two, love of God and love of neighbour, encapsulates this thought of yours.

    In fact, I believe the love of God and neighbour is expressed as far back as the Garden of Eden. When Eve is tempted by the serpent she states that God told them, "...not to eat of the fruit nor touch it, lest they die." God did not tell Eve not to touch it. Perhaps Eve, in her wish to express her love of God, added to His command to show her love for Him.

    Love of neighbour is expressed in the relationship that Adam and Eve are to have together as "...flesh of my flesh". It seems to me that God intended this relational love from the beginning as a mirror of the love of the Trinity.

    Thoughtful post, Father Chinedu. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bernard for the follow-up. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the confusion, but my comment was meant for your second entry. Obviously, I goofed.

    Bernard

    ReplyDelete