Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Little miracle in the midst of difficult situation




Earlier today I called mom to find out how they were doing. She informed me that Blessing was able to open her eyes today. Though she did this several times through the day, it is a miracle because two days ago they thought that she was never going to open her eyes again. This gave mom a huge boost in spite of the reality facing us. The doctors say that there is nothing else they can do than to provide palliative care. Please continue to keep Blesssing in your prayers. Above are a couple of pictures I took with her - the first two were taken moments after she underwent brain surgery four years ago, the last one was taken just before she went in for brain surgery (picture above).

As I write this, I wonder what goes on in the minds of people who know that their days on earth are numbered. Pondering this reality may help each of us think of the deeper meanings to the mystery of life. I am certain that one's understanding of the after-earthly-life will have influence on how one handles this sort of situation. May God give us all the courage to face whatever may come our way and the possibility of the death of a loved one.

1 comment:

  1. Father,
    It has been laid upon me to say this - I don't know why, I only know I could never come up with these words on my own. I have no scripture with which to back up my thoughts, so they must have been sent. I've been thinking about Blessing - and you and your family - ever since we heard she was so ill. It upset me in the beginning, that she had to suffer so. I even thought that because you're a priest that God should somehow grant you and your family special dispensation, for all you give of yourself. But, it's occurred to me, He didn't grant Jesus any special dispensation when He had to endure a Roman flogging and crucifixion... probably the most pitiless and horrific form of execution man has ever come up with. But Jesus endured a horrible death for all of us to save us from sin. Why, then, should anyone else have to suffer so? And why, for heaven's sake, if it's to be that they must go, why should God want to prolong the suffering? I think I finally have an answer I can live with, so I felt I must pass it on to you, even though you've probably thought of it already. It's this: God has something wonderful, something incredibly beautiful, planned for Blessing when she gets to Heaven. Most of us (especially myself!) will have to spend an awfully long time in Purgatory before we're ever worthy enough to go to Heaven. Not that God could ever have caused her suffering, but because Blessing has had to go through such torment on this physical, earthly plane, I think maybe her soul has been refined and purified by her pain, in a way that ours could never be, here on earth. She has endured her suffering with such grace, courage and patience, surely God has something absolutely fantastic for her as a reward.

    Anyway, Father, I was coming home from Alpha, and this popped into my head as I was thinking of Blessing. And maybe I can think of a scripture reference, afterall:

    "Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into Your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

    Luke 23:42-43

    Love and prayers,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete