Friday, November 12, 2010

Rest In Peace Little Sister

Today at about 9.15pm (Nova Scotian time, about 2.15am Nigerian time) I got a call from my mother. As soon as her number appeared on the phone, I knew that "this was it!" In the midst of her sobbing I said, "Blessing is dead!" and she sobbed, "Let it not happen again" (in Igbo language, OZOEMENA).

Finally my beloved younger sister Blessing has gone to be with God. As I spoke with mom and try to calm her down, my eyes welled up with tears, a lump on my throat, and amidst the indescribable pain I assured her that Blessing is in a better place. Not that I remember all we spoke about except that I tried to be on the phone with her for that first moment and while I let her cry (she needed to), I also intermittently reminded her that Blessing is at peace in the presence of Our Father.

Blessing has carried her cross in life, suffered both physically and emotionally. Now the battle with cancer is over, and Blessing won! She won because she no longer suffer in her body nor emotionally, she won because she is in a better place, the one place we all long to go though we are often afraid to face death. She was a brave fighter. Her courage in the face of illness and "pain" teaches us to embrace life and all it brings and to entrust everything in the hands of God. May she rest in peace. We love you but God loves you the most.

Thank you all for your prayers. I am sure that her suffering was tempered by the effects of your prayers. Please pray especially for my mother who has gone through a lot in the past two years. Her faith inspires all of us.

I will keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment